Saturday, February 7, 2015

Super Bowl Korean Wings

This is the best wing recipe i've made in a long time. I fixed them up for the Super Bowl and they went fast. I can't take any credit for this recipe, pulled it straight from a blog that really lays it out nicely. http://www.eatthelove.com/2014/01/korean-bbq-chicken-recipe/

Process

I ended up tripling the recipe since I purchased 6 pounds of wings rather than two which the recipe called for. I also omitted the green onions. Therefore, ended up with the following:

18 cloves minced garlic
3-4 inches of fresh grated ginger
1.5 cups low sodium soy sauce
3 TB rice vinegar
3 TB white sesame seeds
3 TB white sugar
6 medium kiwis - peeled and diced
3 tsp fresh black pepper
6 tsp red pepper flakes
6 lbs chicken wings, mix of drums and flats

Mix everything up into a bowl, and split it evenly between two gallon-sized ziplock bags with 3lbs of wings in each.  Save about a 1/2 to 1 cup for basting/glazing onto the wings towards the end of grilling later.  Let this marinade in the refrigerator for about 6 hours, mixing around whenever you feel like it. 






After 6 hours, I pulled them out of the fridge and moved them to a bowl. Easier to carry outside and transfer to the grill! Discard the marinade that has been mixed with the chicken. Take the 1/2 to 1 cup you set aside, and give it a quick blender pulse to smooth it out. This makes it easier to glaze on later.


Pureed marinade for basting


 I set my egg up direct around ~450 degrees for these guys. I flipped them about 5 minutes each side, giving a baste with the reserved marinade for the last minute. Do not go overboard basting, the soy sauce packs a lot of sodium - you'll give everybody salty wings. I sprinkled on more sesame seeds after they were pulled off the grill, added a nice touch. I will definitely make these again.



No comments:

Post a Comment